Tax Advice For Britons Working Abroad
We look forward to helping you
Tell Me More


Tax Safe Ltd specialise in the UK income tax affairs of Britons who are in full-time overseas employment and who retain accommodation in the UK.

All of our Tax consultants are former HMRC Officers with vast experience of dealing with Non Residence, Seafarers Earnings Deduction, and Foreign Tax credit Relief etc.

Because of constant changes in legislation directly governing the tax affairs of Britons working abroad, the number of concerned Expats has grown and consequently so has the client bank. Despite this, the company continues to provide what we consider to be an unrivalled professional and personal service at a reasonable annual cost.

Initially, we advise clients on how to achieve UK tax exemption on overseas income by becoming Non Resident (NR) for UK tax purposes. Alternatively, we can assist any individual who is unable to achieve NR status by, where appropriate, submitting a claim for Foreign Tax Credit Relief (FTCR) for taxes paid overseas to offset the UK tax liability arising on the overseas income.

We liaise with HMRC on behalf of our clients regarding all matters concerning completion of individual’s annual Tax Returns, arranging No Tax (NT) code numbers where appropriate, claims to exemption from UK income tax on overseas income under the NR rules, Seafarers Earnings Deduction (SED), claims to FTCR and income from property that is let.

Non Residence

HMRC effective from 6 April 2013 introduced a Statutory Residence Test (SRT) that will affect all citizens working or living abroad.

More info I'm interested


A Seafarer is “someone who performs their employment duties on a ship”. Offshore installations, used in the oil and gas industry, are not ships and workers on mobile offshore drilling units, semi-submersibles and jack-up rigs are not “seafarers” and are not entitled to the deduction.

More info I'm interested

Foreign Tax Credits

UK Residents working overseas can claim credit for tax paid overseas to offset UK tax liability arising on the overseas income, provided original documentation to support this is obtained from the employer and/or overseas tax authority. In addition, a schedule of the number of days spent in each country for which FTCR is being claimed, in each calendar year, will be required.

I'm interested

HMRC Tax Return Enquiries

The majority of individuals who file annual Self Assessment Tax Returns are likely at some stage to be subject to an in-depth enquiry into Tax Return entries. This is a fact and whereas such enquiries should not be an annual event, some individuals may be selected more than once!

More info I'm interested


More info

Becoming a Client

Interested in our services?

The next step to becoming a client is to complete the forms outlined at points 1-5 below and provide the documentation (scanned copies unless otherwise stated) and fees at points 6 & 7:

  1. A signed Form 64-8. We will need hard copy with original ink signature.
  2. 1 signed Form SA1. Again we require a hard copy ink signature.
  3. A scanned completed Confidential Fact-Find.
  4. A signed Form P85 with an original ink signature.
  5. A signed Page 5 from our Terms of Business – a scanned copy will suffice.
  6. Any Form P45 or P60 showing the tax district dealing with you when you last worked in the UK.
  7. Links to our fees and forms required. We require initial payment of £528.00 i.e. £440.00 + £88.00 VAT. Once we have carried out our initial review of your tax affairs we will always quote a fixed fee for dealing with the tax years involved.

In addition, we need you to provide the information and documentation requested in A, B or C below, depending on your particular circumstances:

A) You intend to commence a contract of employment

  • Are you in UK employment prior to commencing the foreign contract? If so, when will the UK employment cease?
  • Will you be working abroad for a UK or foreign employer?
  • How long is the overseas contract expected to last and in what country will you work? Please provide a copy of the overseas employment contract.
  • What is your work/leave rotation under the overseas contract?
  • If your leave entitlement is more than 90 days a year would you be willing to restrict your visits to the UK to attain Non Residence/Tax Free Status?
  • Will you or your employer pay any foreign tax in respect of your foreign duties?
  • Will you continue to receive any UK income e.g. income from let property, bank interest etc. whilst you are working abroad? Please elaborate.
  • Have you advised HMRC that you are going abroad?
  • Do you normally complete and file annual Tax Returns? If so, please provide your 10 digit UTR number

B) Already working abroad

  • When did you cease UK employment?
  • When did you commence foreign employment?
  • How long is the expected duration of your foreign contract(s) and in which countries have you worked? Please provide copies of all overseas contracts.
  • What is your work/leave rotation under the overseas contracts?
  • If your leave entitlement is over 90 days a year are you or will you restrict visits to the UK to attain Non Residence/Tax Free Status?
  • Do you or your employer pay any foreign tax in respect of foreign duties?
  • Do you continue to receive any UK income e.g. income from let property, bank interest etc. whilst you are working abroad? Please elaborate.
  • Did you advise HMRC that you were going to work abroad?
  • Do you complete and file annual Tax Returns? If so please confirm your 10 digit UTR number.
  • Have you had more than one overseas contract and if so have there been any breaks between contracts? Please confirm the dates of cessation and commencement.
  • Do you work for a UK or overseas employer?

C) Ceasing employment and coming back to the UK to work or retirement

  • How long have you been working abroad and in which countries have you worked?
  • What has been your work/leave rotation?
  • Have you restricted visits to the UK by spending time abroad on holiday?
  • Have you or your employer paid any foreign tax in respect of your foreign duties?
  • Have you continued to receive any UK income e.g. income from let property, bank interest etc. whilst working abroad and will it continue when you return to the UK? If so, please elaborate.
  • Did you originally advise HMRC that you were going to work abroad and have you had any correspondence with HMRC whilst working abroad?
  • Do you complete and file annual Tax Returns? If so, please confirm your 10 digit UTR number.
  • Have you had any breaks between foreign contracts of employment? If so, confirm the dates of cessation and commencement of each and provide copies of the contracts.
  • Do you intend to re-commence UK employment when you return to the UK and/or to retire and receive UK based pensions?

Alternatively, if you merely require a one off appraisal, please provide the information requested in A , B or C above and the appraisal fee of £250.00 + VAT = £300.00. Thereafter, if you wish to appoint us as your Personal Income Tax Agents, you can complete the necessary forms as outlined above and pay the balance of the fees due – to be confirmed once we are aware as to the number of tax years requiring our attention.


Current standard Fee per individual Tax Year

Overseas Employment/matters – £390.00 + £78.00 VAT= £468.00

UK Employment/matters – £220.00 + £44.00 VAT= £264.00


Additional Fee Charges

Each Individual Let Property – £100.00 + £20.00 VAT= £120.00

Tax Return Amendment – £60.00 + £12.00 VAT= £72.00

3rd Party Correspondence (except HMRC) – £50.00 + £10.00 VAT= £60.00

eg. Banks, Letting Agents, Solicitors etc


New Clients

Standard fee (inc. setting up/admin fee) – £440.00 + £88.00 VAT= £528.00

Appraisal fee – £250.00 + £50.00 VAT= £300.00

Methods of payment

Cheque – please make all cheques payable to Tax Safe Ltd

Bank Transfer – Bank Transfer – Details as per invoice or available on request to

Please ensure your full name or client reference is quoted when making any payment.



Terms of Business Agreement

Tax Safe Ltd “Agreement”


Confidential Factfind

Factfind Questionnaire


Form 64-8

HMRC – Agent Authority Form

Original with “wet” signature required


Form SA1

Registering For Self Assessment

Original with “wet” signature required


Form P85

Leaving the UK

Original with “wet” signature required


19-20 Accommodation out-with UK Questionnaire

A home does not need to be owned or rented by you


SED Schedule

Seafarers Earnings Deduction Schedule


19-20 Schedule of UK arrivals and departures

UK arrival/departures


19-20 Non Residents Work History Questionnaire

Hours worked


2020 Tax Return Questionnaire


19-20 UK Ties Questionnaire

UK Ties


19-20 Mariners NI Questionnaire

Mariners Questionnaire


Disposal of UK Residential property by UK non-resident Individuals

Posted: Wednesday 3 October 2017 @ 12:18 PM

 All UK non-residents who dispose of UK residential property must now complete an online Non Resident Capital Gains Tax (NRCGT) return and, where necessary pay any Capital Gains Tax (CGT) within 30 days of the conveyance of the property. Where Self-Assessment Tax Returns are also being made, payment can be deferred until the normal due date for paying Self-Assessment tax. i.e. by 31 January in the year following the period of the return.

In the case of jointly owned property, all parties who are Not Resident for UK tax purposes must complete and submit a NRCGT return.

Failure to comply will result in the following late filing penalties, regardless of whether any CGT is due:-

  • an initial penalty of £100 on the day after the date your tax return or document was due
  • a ‘further penalty’ of £300 or 5% of our estimate of your liability to tax (whichever was the higher) after your tax return or document was 6 months late
  • a second ‘further penalty’ of £300 or 5% of our estimate of your liability to tax, (whichever was the higher) after your tax return or document was 12 months late

Any chargeable gain will usually be determined by the difference between the disposal proceeds (less any relevant costs) and the purchase price (plus any relevant costs).

For acquisitions made before 05/04/15, the purchase cost can be substituted for the 05/04/15 valuation, so that only the gain arising from 05/04/15 to disposal date is charged to CGT.  You will however need to obtain a valuation at 05/04/15.

Further information is available using the following link:-

Read More Read Less

Statutory Residence Test

Posted: Wednesday 3 October 2017 @ 12:15 PM

Well, much has been written over the last year or so as to the effects of the Statutory Residence Test (SRT) on the UK tax position of Brits working and/or living abroad and we now hope to help you understand the situation.

Up to 5/4/13 UK tax residence was not defined by legislation, but instead hinged upon the interpretations of various legal cases which occurred 10, 20 and sometimes more years ago. Added to this, claimants had to rely upon the interpretation of individual tax offices that had little or no experience in handling or considering claims to Non Resident Status.
We applaud the Government and HMRC in endeavouring to standardise matters, but even now it is still possible to blur the lines between those living abroad and those working abroad who still live in the UK. HMRC has created a tool to “assist individuals” to decide their own position. However, having been involved in “road testing it” with Brits Abroad, it, like so many of HMRC’s tools, doesn’t quite do what it says on the tin.

Every Brit Abroad who intends to visit the UK from 6/4/13 should assess, or better still, have their positions reviewed using the SRT, as every Brit Abroad is directly affected by it.


It is true to say that most Brits working abroad who have done so for sufficiently lengthy claim periods, adhering to the criteria in place up to 5/4/13, may still qualify for Non Resident/Tax Free Status from 6/4/13, but important changes under the SRT mean that their ongoing claims should now be reviewed, as these could make or break any ongoing claims.

The major change from 6/4/13 being that whilst Brits working abroad are still allowed to spend a maximum of 90 days annually in the UK (some of them actually performing UK duties under their foreign contracts), the rolling 4 year average days rule has now been abolished meaning that claimants can no longer utilise any previous so called “unused days” in the 2013/14 or later tax years. Each tax year is now reviewed in isolation.


HMRC will now very rarely disregard excess days spent in UK for “reasons beyond your control”. Sick leave/compassionate leave will usually be disregarded only where the individual is in the UK and thus delayed in departure from the UK. It is however unsafe to assume that HMRC will disallow any such days as they will have to be convinced that your case is “exceptional”. Should HMRC grant you exceptional circumstances and agree to disregard any such days spent in the UK this could have a detrimental effect on the average hours worked overseas and possibly on the 31 days significant break.

What are exceptional circumstances? ( The following paragraphs and examples have been extracted from Annex B of the RDR3 – HMRC’s guidance notes to the SRT)

Days spent in the UK may be ignored if the individual’s presence in the UK is due to exceptional circumstances beyond their control. This will usually only apply to events that occur while an individual is in the UK and which prevent them from leaving the UK.

Exceptional circumstances will normally apply where an individual has no choice concerning the time they spend in the UK or in coming back to the UK. The situation must be beyond the individual’s control.

Example 1

Anna is returning to her home in Denmark having spent her seven week summer holiday working in the UK. This was her first visit to the UK.

On her boat journey home there is an explosion in the engine room. Emergency rescue services attend the vessel and Anna is found unconscious and badly burned. The emergency services make the decision to airlift Anna to a specialist burns unit in the UK where she remains for five months. Anna returns to Denmark as soon as she is discharged from hospital.

Anna has been in the UK for 202 days.

This disaster would be considered to be an exceptional circumstance beyond Anna’s control. However, the maximum number of days that can be ignored towards days spent in the UK is 60. So Anna has 142 days which count as days spent in the in the UK.

The type of events which may give rise to exceptional circumstances will be, by their nature, out of the ordinary and it is difficult to be prescriptive about what characteristics such an event would exhibit. However local or national emergencies, such as civil unrest, natural disasters, the outbreak of war or a sudden serious or life threatening illness or injury to an individual are examples of circumstances that are likely to be exceptional.

There may also be limited situations where an individual who needs to stay in the UK to deal with a sudden life threatening illness or injury to a spouse, person with whom they are living as husband and wife, civil partner or dependent child can have those days spent in the UK ignored under the SRT subject to the 60-day limit.

There may also be limited situations where an individual who comes back to the UK to deal with a sudden life threatening illness or injury to a partner or dependent child can have those days spent in the UK ignored under the SRT subject to the 60-day limit.

Example 2

Henrik is working in the construction industry and lives in Germany. He has business interests in the UK and has spent 68 days working here in the current tax year. He is a lone parent and his children usually live in the family home in Germany with him.

Henrik sends Victoria, his 13 year old daughter, for a two week holiday, at a summer holiday camp, in the UK. Unfortunately, whilst undertaking one of the activities she has an accident and is taken to hospital, unconscious and with a suspected major neck injury. Henrik immediately travels across to the UK, to be with his daughter and arrange for her to be moved back to Germany. This happens three days after the incident. His daughter remains in the hospital in Germany for a further four weeks, and has to wear a neck brace for an extended period of time.

The three days Henrik spends in the UK with his daughter arranging her transfer, after this potentially life threatening accident, would be considered as exceptional circumstances.

A similar judgement would be applied had Henrik and his daughter been in the UK when the accident had occurred. If Henrik stays with his daughter beyond their planned return date, until she can be transferred back to Germany, the additional days where his is present at midnight would count as exceptional circumstances.

Had he chosen not to arrange for his daughter to be transferred to a German hospital, and elected to stay in the UK until she was released from hospital here, the additional time would not be considered as exceptional circumstances.

In order to be ignored as days spent in the UK, there must be exceptional circumstances beyond the control of the individual. In other words, the event or situation in question must be one over which the individual has no control or influence and which cannot reasonably have been foreseen.

For example, if an individual is a passenger on a commercial aircraft that is forced to make an emergency landing in the UK and there is no available onward flight to their original destination for two days afterwards, the two days that would otherwise count as spent in the UK would be ignored due to exceptional circumstances.

Example 3

Claude is retired and came to the UK for the first time on 1 June for a five month extended travelling holiday, intending to leave on 31 October.
On 29 September while travelling to Scotland he is involved in a car crash suffering multiple injuries. He is in hospital for a total of 14 weeks and arranges to travel back to his home in France on the day he is discharged.

Claude has been in the UK for 220 days

The time Claude spent in hospital is an exceptional circumstance. The maximum number of days in the tax year that can be ignored is 60. Claude has 160 days counted as spent in the UK.

For days spent in the UK due to exceptional circumstances to be ignored, an individual must intend to leave the UK as soon as those circumstances permit. If an individual does leave the UK once the exceptional circumstances have ended HMRC will usually accept this as evidence of such an intention.

Example 4

The circumstances are as in Example 3.

However, Claude’s nephew who lives in Wales writes to him in hospital and suggests Claude should visit him when he leaves hospital. Claude writes back on 1 December agreeing.

From 1 December it is no longer Claude’s intention to leave the UK as soon as the exceptional circumstance has come to an end and so only the period 29 September to 30 November can be discounted as exceptional circumstances for SRT day counting purposes.

Exceptional circumstances and Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advice

Exceptional circumstances will generally not apply in respect of events that bring you back to the UK. However, there may be circumstances such as civil unrest or natural disaster where associated

FCO advice is to avoid all travel to the region.

Individuals who return to and stay in the UK while FCO advice remains at this warning level would normally have days spent in the UK ignored under the SRT, subject to the 60-day limit.

Example 5

Philip is a structural engineer and has worked full-time abroad for many years. He is currently working on a project in Africa. His wife and children live in the UK.

In May the Government of the country in which he is working is overthrown in a military coup. This initially gave rise to peaceful protests but soon developed into increasing levels of civil unrest.

In early July the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) issued advice against all but essential travel to the country. Philip continued to work there.

By mid-October the country was on the verge of civil war and the FCO upgraded their advice, advising against all travel to the country. Philip returned to the UK on 21 October.

Due to international intervention, by the end of January the following year political stability had returned to the country. On 29 January the FCO downgraded their advice to avoid all but essential travel to the country. Philip took the first available flight back and resumed work on 31 January.

The days Philip spent in the UK were due to an exceptional circumstance beyond his control and can be ignored for the purpose of the day counting tests of the SRT. However, the maximum period that can be ignored due to exceptional circumstances is 60 days. Philip was in the UK for 103 days during this period which means Philip must count 43 days as days spent in the UK for the purposes of the SRT day counting tests.

Examples of circumstances not normally considered to be exceptional circumstances.

Days spent in the UK will not be considered exceptional where the circumstances are not beyond the individual’s control, or where they could reasonably have been foreseen or predicted.

Life events such as birth, marriage, divorce and death are not routinely regarded as exceptional circumstances. Choosing to come to the UK for medical treatment or to receive elective medical services such as dentistry, cosmetic surgery or therapies will not be regarded as exceptional circumstances.

Travel problems, for example a delayed or missed flight due to traffic disruption, train delays or cancellations, or a car breakdown, will not be considered as exceptional circumstances.


Non Resident Status depends on the length of a qualifying claim period. However, in the departing and returning years, split year claims can be made. The number of days allowed in the UK where split years are involved is pro-rated, so it is imperative that these are accurately calculated as if a claim should fail tax liabilities will arise.


In addition to the number of days spent in the UK there are the two main pitfalls to consider when determining UK Non Residence (NR) status under the 3 rd Automatic Overseas test, as outlined on our NR page:

  1. The hours worked in a claim period:- Should your hours worked overseas not be sufficient, (minimum average of 35 hours pw) HMRC will not accept that you are in full time foreign employment so your claim for Non Residence will fail.
  2. Significant break from overseas work:- You will have a significant break from overseas work if at least 31 consecutive days go by and not one of those days I a day on which you:-
  1. Work for more than 3 hours overseas or
  2. Would have worked for more than 3 hours overseas but you do not do so because you are on annual leave*, sick leave or parenting leave.

Should you have a significant break from overseas employment, you will not meet the 3rd Automatic Overseas Test of the SRT and so your UK NR claim is likely to fail.

*Rotational leave is not regarded as annual lave by HMRC. Claimants on rotational assignments should carefully avoid any likely periods of 31 consecutive away from work and ensure that they work sufficient days overseas to ensure their Non Residence claim is not endangered.

Read More Read Less



Our Office

Tax Safe Ltd

Studio 127

Maling Exchange

Hoults Yard

Walker Road

Newcastle upon Tyne